Tenley Fukui, MA, LPC
Thank you for exploring my web site. Here is some information about me and my clinical perspectives that might be helpful in your search for a therapist.
I have been in private practice for 16 years using clinical hypnosis and biofeedback as adjuncts to psychotherapy. I specialize in the treatment of Chronic Pain, Anxiety (Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Phobias, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), Insomnia, Alcohol Addiction, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) both military and civilian, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Smoking Cessation and Weight Management. I also am certified in Clinical Hypnosis by The American Society of Clinical Hypnosis.
While earning my Master’s Degree in Clinical Psychology from The University of Houston-Clear Lake I interned at the Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) in their Chronic Pain Clinic and their Trauma Recovery Program (PTSD). Before starting my private practice I worked in several outpatient Chronic Pain Clinics, an inpatient rehabilitation unit for addiction and a Partial Hospital Program for treating the Chronically Mentally Ill. I retired from the VA after 20 years of research in chronic pain using clinical hypnosis.
My Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Institutional Review Board (IRB) approved research for “Hypnosis Treatment for Chronic Low Back Pain” was published in The International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis. Another of my BCM IRB approved studies “A Randomized Controlled Trial of Hypnosis Compared with Biofeedback for Adults with Chronic Low Back Pain” was published in The European Journal of Pain.Click here to hear VA Physical Medicine and Rehab (PM&R) podcast explaining the study.
I am one of only three clinicians certified by the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Ulcerative Colitis with clinical hypnosis in Houston. I am listed as a provider on the IBSHypnosis.com web site. I am a former President of the Bay Area Mental Health Providers Network (2009) and a former President of the Biofeedback Society of Texas (2013-2014). I also was a therapist for Cancer Counseling (2007-2011).
“Remember pain may be unavoidable, but suffering is optional.”- Helen Dearman, President of The National Chronic Pain Society
PRACTICE PHILOSOPHY AND METHODS
My primary practice approaches are Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy and Behavioral Therapy, although I use other techniques as needed. I focus on mind-body approaches and am skilled at working as a member of an inter-disciplinary treatment team. Since I am a researcher and a clinician, I am heavily evidence-based in my treatment approaches. I also integrate Clinical Hypnosis, Biofeedback and/or Neurofeedback as adjuncts to psychotherapy treatment.
- Anxiety Disorders (Panic, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Phobias, Post Traumatic Disorder, Stuttering, etc.)
Chronic Illness (Cancer, Apnea, Hypertension, Tinnitus, etc.)
- Chronic Pain (Chronic Low Back Pain, Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ), Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Headache/Migraine, Raynaud’s disease, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Cancer Pain, Fibromyalgia, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardic Syndrome, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Other Pain/Injuries)
- Habit Disorders (Skin Picking, Nail Biting, Trichotillomania, etc.)
- Hot Flashes
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Sexual Dysfunction (Erectile Dysfunction, etc.)
- Sjogren’s Syndrome (dry eye)
- Sleep Disorders
- Smoking Cessation
- Stress Management
- Tourette's Tics
- American Counseling Association
- American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- American Psychological Association
(also Division 30 Hypnosis)
- Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback
- Bay Area Mental Health Providers Network
- Houston Group Psychotherapy Society
- Houston Licensed Professional Counselor Association
- National Association of Addiction Professionals
- Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis
- Southern Pain Society
- Texas Association of Addiction Professionals
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Licensed Professional Counselor for the State of Texas
- Certified in Clinical Hypnosis by the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- Certified in Biofeedback and Neurofeedback by the Stens Corporation